Bagged Your Pheasant! Now for the Good Stuff!!!
Friday, November 3rd 2023
The Three Most Popular Pheasant Recipes
Pheasant is a game bird well known for its rich and gamey flavor, which has made it a favorite among chefs and home cooks alike. Below are the three most popular recipes that showcase the versatility and deliciousness of pheasant.
1. Roast Pheasant with Bread Sauce
- 1 whole pheasant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Rub the pheasant with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place thyme, bay leaf, and one-quartered onion inside the cavity.
- Lay bacon slices over the breast and place in a roasting tray.
- Roast for 45-55 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Baste occasionally with chicken stock to keep moist.
- For the bread sauce, combine bread crumbs, milk, butter, and the remaining onion in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Rest the pheasant for 10 minutes, then carve and serve with the bread sauce.
2. Pheasant in White Wine and Cream Sauce
- 4 pheasant breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Season the pheasant breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high and sear the pheasant until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté shallot and garlic until translucent.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine, scraping up the brown bits.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add heavy cream, and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Return the pheasant to the pan, add tarragon, and simmer until the pheasant is cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve the pheasant drizzled with the sauce.
3. Pheasant Stew with Vegetables
- 2 pheasants, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Season the pheasant pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown the pheasant on all sides, then remove from the pot.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook until softened.
- Pour in chicken broth, add tomatoes and thyme, and bring to a simmer.
- Return the pheasant to the pot, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve hot, garnished with fresh herbs if desired.
These recipes highlight the pheasant's flavor while offering a variety of dishes from a simple roast to a comforting stew, ensuring there's a pheasant dish for every occasion and palate.